1) My all time favorite product is Liv by summit. This product is great for protective hair styles such as braids and two strand twists. Since that’s all I usually wear, this product is apart of my daily regimen. Liv will have your hair feeling as soft as it did when you were a little girl. My hair despises grease. Sometimes it’s difficult to find black products that won’t weight down my hair or leave an oily residue.
For example this past month I got my hair in box braids. The African women braiding my hair had a large jug of blue grease and after she finished my hair she greased my scalp. Let me tell you, I have never had an itchier scalp! It was horrible. I couldn’t wash it out since my braids were fresh. I had to just wait until it wore out. With Liv, I can use it as often as I’d like on both my hair and scalp.
Sally’s Beauty Supply describes Liv as the ideal daily conditioner for hair that is dry or brittle due to chemical processing, over-exposure to the sun, or excessive use of blow dryer, hot curlers, and other implements. They say this light, non-greasy formula is leaves hair soft, shiny and manageable.
It is extremely important to read the ingredients in the products you use. The ingredients listed in Liv are Water (Aqua), Petrolatum, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidium) , Beeswax, Cetyl Esters, Peg-75 Lanolin, Polisorbate-60, Sodium Borate, Sorbitol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance (perfume).
2) Product number two is IC Hair Polisher Heat Protector Straightening Serum. This product has so many benefits! Not only does it protect your hair from heat treatments and styling, it also moisturizes you hair, leaves a great sheen, and smells incredible! I absolutely adore this product! I use it every single day without fail. Although I rarely use heat in my hair, living in a place where the sun is constantly blazing on my hair, it’s great for protection. Also because I wear a lot of twist outs I like my curls to have a shine to them. It makes my dark black hair shine in the sunlight. I would recommend this product to any one and everyone! This one that all hair types can use!
Sally’s describes this one saying, “Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Heat Protector Straightening Serum creates a barrier between heat appliances and your hair so you can style it without the fear of causing serious damage. It will add shine to your hair and moisturize it without leaving a greasy residue and heavy build up. Keep this serum next to your favorite heat styling appliance.” I have to agree completely!
Ingredients for this product include Cyclopentasiloxane , Dimethiconol , Cyclomethicone , Dimethicone , Cyclopentasiloxane , Dimethiconol , Dimethicone Crosspolymer , Amodimethicone , Phenyl Trimethicone , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract , Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit. E), Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate , Fragrance.
3) Silk Elements Mixed Silk Leave-In Conditioner is the third product I can’t go without! I never heard of this product until I was looking for a new leave-in one day with my grandmother. I simply asked one of the employees what her best recommendation would be. I didn’t know that one question would uproar a debate amongst the entire store. Suddenly every woman started telling me how fabulous this product was and how I have to try it! So I decided to give it a whirl and after the first use, I was hooked! This product had given my hair so much moisture! Although it worked great with my two strand twist, it worked wonders when I flat ironed my hair! I would definitely recommend using this product with styles using heat, blow dyers, flat irons, curling irons, ect.
“Silk Elements Mixed Silk Leave-in Conditioning Creme is specially formulated to leave curls bouncy, vibrant, and healthy-looking. Defines, tames, and hydrates natural curls and waves. Great as a daily detangling, shine enhancing and nourishing treatment that restores manageability and style.”, is how Sally’s is defining this product.
The ingredients are WATER ,AMODIMETHICONE ,WHEAT AMINO ACIDS ,STEARALKONIUM CHLORIDE ,GLYCERIN ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,POLYSORBATE 60 ,METHYL GLUCETH-20 ,GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE ,ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE ,HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE ,SIMMONDSIA CHINENSIS (JOJOBA) SEED OIL ,CARTHAMUS TINCTORIUS (SAFFLOWER) SEED OI ,OENOTHERA BIENNIS (EVENING PRIMROSE) OIL ,SILK AMINO ACIDS ,HYDROLYZED COLLAGEN ,DMDM HYDANTOIN ,METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE ,METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE ,YELLOW 5 ,YELLOW 6 ,FRAGRANCE ,ALPHA ISOMETHYL IONONE ,BENZYL BENZOATE ,BENZYL SALICYLATE ,CITRONELLOL ,HEXYL CINNAMAL ,LIMONENE ,LINALOOL.
4) My fourth favorite product is one that my sister introduced to me. She’s relaxed so I hadn’t paid her products much attention, but this one stood out. I was visiting her for the weekend and had forgotten all my hair products at home. I was wearing two stand twist and planned to take it the next day for my birthday dinner. She was using Palmer’s Olive Oil Hair Conditioner Spray while flat ironing her hair. She told me I could use some so I sprayed it on top of my two strand twist and massaged it in. My twists had an instant sheen and the next day when I took them down they were full of moisture and still shined! This product is a must have for people that wear a lot of protective hair styles!
Palmer’s website says “Palmer’s Olive Oil Formula Conditioning Spray Oil, a luxurious natural spray oil, helps condition hair and scalp with its special formulation of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Vitamin E. This easy to use spray oil is ideal for braids and weaves.” This spray can be used for several styles and naturals, transitioners, and relaxed women can use it!
Main ingredients include Carola Oil, Isopropyl, Myristate, Olea Europea Fruit Oil, Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Cocyl, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Fragrance.
5) My fifth and final must have product is Johnson’s Baby Shampoo. Maybe you want to stop using that shampoo that strips you hair! This is the perfect option for you! The no tears formula is created to gently cleanse baby’s delicate scalps without harming them with rough chemicals. Why not treat yourself to that same care! I use this product when I’m not using my Suave naturals and when I feel my scalp is extremely dirty. After I use it, each strand of my hair feels purified. I highly recommend this product to anyone who’s hair is sensitive to shampoo like mine is.
The included ingredients are Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, PEG-150 Distearate, Fragrance, Polyquaternium-10, Tetrasodium EDTA, Quaternium-15, Citric Acid, Yellow 10 and Orange 4. May also contain: Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide.